When to do Virtual Relationship Therapy?
Online Couples Therapy - A Rapidly Growing Trend
Couples therapy has helped countless couples find solutions to their problems and strengthen their relationships. However, it can be difficult to find the time every week for both people to meet at the therapist’s office for an hour-long session, especially when you work and have kids or other time-consuming obligations. One great solution is an online couples therapist. Also known as a virtual couples therapist, this type of counsellor offers the same services as a conventional couples counsellor, except online in the form of a video or phone or text chat. If you would like to explore the advantages of online therapy, Nicolette Ward Holistic Couples Counselling can help.
Benefits of Online Counselling
More and more couples are trying online therapy as a convenient way to express their feelings and work through issues together. Here are a few specific reasons that virtual therapy is gaining ground.
- Convenience. One of the main reasons why so many people are flocking to online therapy is because you can choose when to schedule your sessions, and you can attend them without ever leaving your home. Whether you have trouble scheduling appointments because of a busy work schedule or you prefer not to – or can’t – leave your home, online therapy offers an alternative that can work for you.
- Affordability. Face-to-face counselling is often prohibitively expensive for the people who need it. Cost is a significant factor that can keep individuals and couples from obtaining the support that they need. For a variety of reasons, online therapy can offer more affordable options, making it more widely available. There is no fuss with travel-time, parking or traffic.
- Safety. It is a safer option during a public health crisis. Many relationships have suffered this year as spouses or partners have been forced into near-constant close quarters by the COVID-19 pandemic. For some, this highly stressful time has created new relationship problems. For others, it has helped shine a light on issues that were likely always there but could be swept under the rug anymore when couples weren’t spending so much time together. Regardless, there remains a need for quality relationship counselling right now—something I am happy to provide through virtual relationship therapy.
- Comfort. Some people who are hesitant to participate in counselling at all might find online therapy to be an easier transition or steppingstone to face-to-face therapy. Or it may simply be so comfortable for some participants that they decide they prefer it over traditional therapy. Virtual therapy can also be used in conjunction with in-person visits for a complete approach to couples’ counselling.
Tips for Online Couples Therapy
It’s not difficult to see how helpful virtual couples counselling can be in many situations. If you would like to try it out, here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your experience.
- Set aside intentional time and a safe space. Prepare for your online therapy appointment by carving out a private space where you won’t be disturbed and put away all distractions so that you can give your partner and your counselling session your full attention. Therapy can be hard work, and you’ll get the most out of it by focusing well.
- Be flexible with formatting. Some online therapy services offer a range of options, such as messaging, video chats, and phone calls. Consider which one will work best for you. For example, if there are other people in your home and you’d rather they not overhear your conversation, then you might choose messaging for the most privacy.
- Work on being able to name your emotions and needs. If you’ve spent time in face-to-face therapy, then you’re aware that your therapist will observe your body language and facial expressions to better intuit your emotional state. If you’re using messaging with a virtual couples therapist, those cues won’t always be there, so you’ll need to be able to name what you’re feeling, what you want, and what you need.
What sets Nicolette Ward Counselling Apart Regarding Virtual Couples Therapy?
If you’re looking for an online couples therapist, Nicolette Ward Counselling has you covered. I offer both in-person and online couples conflict resolution to suit a range of needs. Here are some of the things that set me apart from other therapists.
- A variety of services. I offer a range of holistic services, including individual counselling for women and men, and couples’ counselling. I can help you deal with the stressors of modern life, and find ways to foster healthy relationships with the people around you. I employ a phased structure involving assessment, treatment, and maintenance to help you achieve your happiest self.
- Quick appointment availability. Some clients have reported having to wait upwards of six to eight weeks for their first appointment. If you don't want to wait two months just to talk to someone, I offer faster appointments to get you started sooner to managing the presenting issue.
- Free 15 Minute consultation. When you work with a therapist, it’s important that you have the right rapport i.e. trust with this person and feel comfortable talking with them about personal issues. That’s why I offer a free 15-minute phone consultation – to give you a feel for my style and make sure you feel comfortable before making a financial commitment.
- Lots of Resources. I usually work with a professionally put together PowerPoint slide deck via Zoom, videos, whiteboards, multimedia and within the next six months I plan to also have an secure online learning platform (available for a small cost) for you to digest all the latest information and research around holistic couples therapy, or just to take in a couple of video clips. I also use visual infographics, e-books and handouts to better equip you for between session research and homework.